Superintendent Update 3/24/2020
Good afternoon Wirt County Schools’ staff,
Today we are seeing a change in our process for providing education for our students. Under the Governor's Executive Order, It is with great caution that we proceed through this crisis, everyone is to stay at home, until further notice (through April 30th). Our goal is to protect the health of our staff and everyone in our community. WC schools are closed. No one will be in our schools, except a group of 8 essential staff. All telephone calls will be transferred to the Board of Education office. A maintenance worker will be in each building to be sure buildings are functional.
All administrators will be considered essential only if emergency circumstances arise. Please keep in contact with your supervisor or principal if you need any additional help. We provided four days of food for our students on Monday. Thank you so very much to the staff who helped prepare and deliver, within just a few hours, 3,000 meals to students.
All of you are our heroes. We need for you to be safe. We have and are ready to continue to provide for our students. Your work has been terrific, the students have what they need.
Please STAY AT HOME, follow the Governor's request and let’s stop the spread of this virus. Please be safe, if you need anything, just send an email to any of us. Thank you for all that you do --- I hope to see you soon.
3 maintenance workers
1 maintenance supervisor
2 staff at the central office
1 technology coordinator
1 Superintendent or her designee
On Food pick-up day staff will be called in to assist with food distribution for several hours.
Cooks as needed
March 13, 2010
Late yesterday, Governor Jim Justice issued a press release providing revised direction as follows:
- All schools will remain closed to students through at least Friday, March 27.
- Essential staff, as determined by each county board of education, will report Monday, March 16 through Wednesday, March 18 to develop continuity plans for students. All Staff enter building through main school entrance.
- All teachers, staff, and school service personnel will report Thursday, March 19 and Friday, March 20.
- County boards of education will determine staff requirements for Monday, March 23 and beyond.
- Accordingly, we will now operate on Monday with the following essential school level personnel reporting to their worksite:
- All cooks will report at 7:30 a.m. at which time Mr. Melonas will provide detailed instructions to all cafeteria managers.
- All custodians will work the dayshift and report at 7:30 a.m. to complete a comprehensive cleaning of all touch surfaces and restrooms.
- All school secretaries will report at 7:30 a.m. to manage the office and maintain school communications.
Essential Personnel Maintain Normal Work Schedule
Central Office - Maintain Normal Work Schedule
- Principals/Assistant Principals – Maintain Normal Work Schedule
- Counselors/Social Workers – Maintain Normal Work Schedule
- Nurses – Maintain Normal Work Schedule – should immediately contact parents to determine if medicines housed at school are needed at home. Should periodically check in with parents of students they typically see to determine if any further assistance is needed. Social Worker can assist with this information gathering, if needed
- Secretaries – Maintain Normal Work Schedule - share website message with callers
- Custodians/Maintenance – Maintain Normal Work Schedule – continually monitor and clean high traffic areas within the building; frequently clean door knobs/handles, restrooms, etc. Each principal will outline the tasks necessary.
- Cooks – Adjust work schedule for meal preparedness. On Monday – Wednesday (March 16 – 18), be prepared with two meals to be loaded on buses by 10:00 am a drive through pick up plan for meals will be put in place at each school, also. Families will be able to stop at the school and meals will be provided to them and a roster maintained of who accepts meals. We will evaluate the distribution of meals for the week. If modifications need to be made we will post a new plan on Thursday, March 19, 2020.. The prepared meals will include that day’s lunch and the next morning’s breakfast. The meals must be ready to be delivered by 10:00 a.m. and for pick up at 12:00pm.
- Bus Drivers – On Monday, March 16, 2020, bus drivers will be responsible for doing a thorough cleaning of their buses 7:30 – 9:45. At 10:00 a.m., all drivers will begin routes. Each driver picks meals up at location designated and the aide assigned to their bus will meet them at this pick-up point. Tuesday – Wednesday, bus drivers will continue to deliver food as per their normal route schedule. Drivers will pick up food from their home schools at 10:00 a.m. Bus drivers will deliver meals and any assignments to schools and families. All assignments needing to be sent home will be marked for the student the items to be delivered.
- Mechanics – Maintain Normal Work Schedule
- Teachers – On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday (March 16 – 18) teachers must be preparing their instructional lessons, which will begin on Thursday, March 19, 2020. They must contact every student, grade level teams are to work together and/or content teams will work together to be sure there are not duplicate calls. Each call made is to inform and solicit the following information: (1.) Does the student have access to the Internet in order to complete digital lessons. (2.) When meal delivery begins, would the parent like for lunches to be dropped off at their home during our bus delivery. If a parent has no access to Internet, parents should be informed that lessons can be dropped off during bus delivery. (3.) If parents wish to pick up lunches or lessons at the school, we will need to know that. (4) Additionally, detailed lesson plans must be completed for Thursday, March 19, 2020, through Friday, March 27, 2020. Administrators must be informed of the plans. It must be understood that the vast majority of instruction is to be digital. We have had Canvas in place for a couple years and every teacher has practiced their use of/plan with students. Thus, we should be well prepared. Beginning Thursday, March 19, 2020, teachers will begin to work their normal schedules.
- IT Staff – Work Normal Work Hours
- Aides – Work Normal Work Hours; work in conjunction with teachers to make calls to parents, prepare materials. Aides can ride buses during the work day to help distribute lunches and instructional packets.